Christopher Zoeching (Austria) was the fastest Porsche qualifier at Daytona in the GT Daytona class in the No. 28 Konrad Motorsport Porsche 911 GT America, placing his car third on the grid for Saturday's Rolex 24 at Daytona.
Tudor United SportsCar Championship, Round 1 of 10, Daytona Beach, Florida
Daytona Beach, Florida, January 22, 2015. Twelve racecars based on the seventh generation of the iconic Porsche 911 sports car have qualified for the TUDOR United SportsCar Championship season-opening Rolex 24 At Daytona. The 53rd running of the 24 hours of racing at Daytona International Speedway, of which Porsche is defending GT Le Mans (GTLM) class winner, will run January 24-25.
Porsche 911 RSR
Three Porsche 911 RSR, the most advanced competition variant of the rear-engine sports car, qualified eighth on the GTLM grid for the Saturday-Sunday race. Nick Tandy (Great Britain), driving the No. 911 Porsche North America factory entry, led the German contingent, one-half of one second off the pole position time.
Porsche 911 GT America
In the GT Daytona class, the fastest Porsche qualified third, with Christopher Zoeching from Austria at the helm of the No. 28 Konrad Motorsport Porsche 911 GT America, Zoeching, a 26 year-old Porsche Michelin Supercup driver, edged Jan Heylen (Tampa Florida) who put the Dempsey/Wright Motorsports Porsche 911 GT America in fourth-place.
The 53rd Rolex 24 At Daytona will have live audio and video coverage from flag-to-flag in the United States. The FOX Network begins television coverage from 2-4 p.m. ET. Coverage will move to FOX Sports 2 from 4-8 p.m., then to FOX Sports 1, 8-10 p.m. The overnight hours will have a live video stream at IMSA TV on IMSA.com with both video and commentary from 10 p.m.-7 a.m. FOX Sports 1 resumes coverage at 7 a.m. through to the checkered flag at 2:10 p.m. and Victory Lane celebrations.
Nick Tandy, No 911 Porsche North America Porsche 911 RSR: "We missed the front two rows by a small amount; at the moment we are losing on the straights. It will make the race difficult but it is 24-hours. However, we had a really good run through the session and we were building speed."
GT Le Mans Qualifying Results
1. No. 4 Chevrolet Corvette C7.R, Oliver Gavin (Great Britain), 1:43.488
2. No. 51 Ferrari F458 Italia, Gianmaria Bruni (Italy), 1:43.830
3. No. 98 Aston Martin Vantage V8, Pedro Lamy (Portugal), 1:43.960
8. No.911 Porsche 911 RSR, Nick Tandy (Great Britain), 1:44.082
9. No. 17 Porsche 911 RSR, Bryan Sellers (Braselton, Georgia), 1:44.465
10. No. 912 Porsche 911 RSR, Frédéric Makowiecki (France), 1:44.759
GT Daytona Qualifying Results
1. No. 007 Aston Martin V12 Vantage, James Davison (Australia), 1:47.27
2. No. 33 Dodge Viper SRT, Jeroen Bleekemolen (The Netherlands), 1:47.42
3. No. 28 Porsche 911 GT America, Chistopher Zoeching (Austria), 1:47.45
4. No. 58 Porsche 911 GT America, Jan Heylen (Tampa, Florida), 1:47.53
7. No. 73 Porsche 911 GT America, Spencer Pumpelly (Atlanta, Georgia), 1:47.86
8. No. 44 Porsche 911 GT America, Andy Lally (Atlanta, Georgia) 1:48.09
13. No. 23 Porsche 911 GT America, Mario Farnbacher (Germany), 1:48.68
14. No. 19 Porsche 911 GT America, Connor De Philippi (San Clemente, California), 1:49.03
15. No. 18 Porsche 911 GT America, Marc Basseng (Germany), 1:49.29
18. No. 81 Porsche 911 GT America, Damien Faulkner (Ireland), 2:14.90
About Porsche Motorsport North America
Porsche Motorsport North America (PMNA), located in Santa Ana, California, is a wholly owned subsidiary of Porsche AG and the sole sales and service provider for the German sports car maker's North American customer sports programs. Porsche is the largest manufacturer of race cars with a wide range of products from the 911 GT3 Cup car to the ultimate 911 RSR. PMNA sells these models to customer teams in North America and provides them with parts, service and expertise in between races and at the track. The PMNA service truck is a fixture at most race tracks in the U.S. and Canada, staffed by factory engineers to service all of Porsche's customer teams.
About Porsche Cars North America
Porsche Cars North America, Inc. (PCNA), based in Atlanta, Ga. is the exclusive U.S. importer of Porsche sports cars, including the Macan and Cayenne SUVs and the Panamera sports sedan. Established in 1984, it is a wholly-owned subsidiary of Porsche AG, which is headquartered in Stuttgart, Germany, and employs approximately 270 people who provide parts, service, marketing and training for 189 dealers. They, in turn, work to provide Porsche customers with a best-in-class experience that is in keeping with the brand's 66-year history and leadership in the advancement of vehicle performance, safety, and efficiency.
At the core of this success is Porsche's proud racing heritage that boasts some 30,000 motorsport wins to date.
Connect with us socially: http://www.twitter.com/Porsche, http://www.Facebook.com/Porsche, http://drive.porsche.com/us and http://www.instagram.com/Porsche
For Porsche apps: http://www.porsche.com/usa/entertainment/apps/
Note: Photos and video footage are available to accredited journalists on the Porsche Press Database at http://press.porsche.com/
Media Relations Manager